Union Station is one of NoMa’s greatest assets and is positioned for expansion. The Washington Union Station Expansion Project (SEP) will cement the station as a world-class multi-modal facility in the heart of NoMa. Improvements will include new intercity and commuter rail passenger platforms, tracks and concourses, a new integrated intercity bus facility, and enhanced intermodal connections to the Metro, pedestrian, and vehicular modes at the station. The SEP will also create vibrant spaces in and around the historic station, tying the station even more closely to the neighborhood.
While construction for the project is still years away, the decisions being made today will directly affect NoMa and the impact of the SEP on the neighborhood. As the most transformative project in NoMa’s future, the BID must be a champion for a successful SEP and will make sure that the neighborhood’s interests are represented as plans move forward.
Progress on this initiative in 2022 included:
- Promoting the benefit of the SEP to the NoMa neighborhood and surrounding communities
- Representing the interests of the greater NoMa community during SEP planning and coalitionbuilding
- Ensuring that the strategic needs of NoMa and the BID are served throughout the SEP process and in
the final product
- Working with the appropriate parties to ensure the project’s completion and success
- Attending and supporting monthly Union Station public safety meetings
Targeted work on this initiative for 2023 will include:
- Supporting the completion and release of the Station Expansion Project’s Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
- Developing relationships with area stakeholders inside and outside of the NoMa BID
- Utilizing Union Station more frequently for space activations and events
A Magnetic NoMa is Dynamic
Pillars: Brand & Reputation Connectivity Economic Development Inclusivity Play Safety