Connecting NoMa to its Metro stations through redesigned entrances that serve the community is a critical priority. The need for station improvements at both NoMa metro stations is clear, however the BID cannot execute these projects by itself. The BID will be a champion of these projects and work with the appropriate decision-makers and parties to ensure their completion.
The proposed 3rd St. NE entrance to the NoMa-Gallaudet station would serve residents and businesses east of the train tracks and would tie the burgeoning Union Market area even more closely to NoMa, as well as provide a faster connection for the Gallaudet University’s shuttle bus service.
Similarly, the refresh of the 1st St. NE entrance to Union Station will offer improved access not only to Metro, but to all of the amenities of Union Station (soon to begin its own long-awaited redesign).
Progress on this initiative in 2022 included:
- Intensive coalition-building, research, and groundwork to marshal resources and build support for the 3rd Street Metro entrance, successfully funded by the District in fiscal 2023
- Working with WMATA to engage planners and budget officials in the next phase of the project’s development
- Working with the Courtyard by Marriott to repair the elevator serving the Metro station and the Metropolitan Branch Trail at N Street NE
- Working with the DC Sustainable Transportation Coalition
Targeted work on this initiative for 2023 will include:
- Mapping out the necessary steps and multi-year schedule to continue moving the 3rd Street Metro entrance project forward towards construction
- Creating renderings to better communicate the project’s value and scope to the general public.
- Monitoring developments and information about the proposed 1st Street Metro entrance designs
- Implementing the Breezeway activation mentioned above adjacent to the NoMa Metro station
- Working with WMATA to develop our working relationship and lend our voice to their efforts to improve Metro
- Redesigning and launching our NoMa BID website to better serve NoMa residents, workers, and visitors
A Magnetic NoMa is Dynamic
Pillars: Brand & Reputation Connectivity Economic Development Inclusivity