Intentionally cultivating locally owned businesses, businesses that speak to the identity and culture of NoMa, and businesses owned by women and/or BIPOC helps to complement current retail and forge a resilient and empowering retail community for the future.
While NoMa’s retail profile is strong, targeted investments of time, resources, and the attention will result in a vibrant retail community in partnership with the residents and workers in the neighborhood.
Progress on this initiative in 2022 included:
- During Black History, Women’s History and Asian Pacific Heritage months, spotlighting and celebrating on social media members of the NoMa community who represent these diverse communities
- Engaging a consultant to design and implement an intentional retail attraction and incubation strategy
- Developing a new retail map to educate brokers about the culture and benefits of locating in NoMa
- Using unique opportunities such as the café space at Alethia Tanner Park to attract one-of-a-kind businesses to NoMa
- Launching the Metropolitan Beer Trail, a free digital passport and prize-incentivized marketing program, and inviting thousands of customers to visit seven NoMa and NoMa-adjacent breweries and bars adjacent to the
Metropolitan Branch Trail
- Celebrating new retail openings in NoMa and promoting them to the community, including the Duncan Dog Hotel and Day Spa, F45 Training, and the CitizenM hotel.
- Prioritizing meeting BID procurement needs via NoMa and NoMa-adjacent businesses, including event support, printing, catering, and more.
- Providing promotion and information on BID services and to new and returning businesses
to improve their chances of success in the marketplace
- Convening NoMa BID businesses to establish a strong network of BID-led and peer-based support at our quarterly business socials
Targeted work on this initiative for 2023 will include:
- Aligning the BID’s own purchasing and procurement policies with this initiative and in support of the strategic pillars
- Launching the intentional retail strategy mentioned above
- Serving new retail from lease-signing to launch, via targeted support, promotion, and more
- Redesigning and launching our brand-new website, with a dedicated section for NoMa retail
A Magnetic NoMa is Vibrant
Pillars: Brand & Reputation Economic Development Inclusivity Play